Scaling is a dental procedure used by your dentist in Lynnefield, MA. It is a type of periodontal therapy that involves removing dental plaque that can lead to gum disease. Thanks to the advancement of dental technology and techniques, Cavitron ultrasound dental scaling can provide effective treatment and enhance the patient experience. There are also some distinct benefits for patients and dental professionals alike.
What is a Cavitron?
A Cavitron is a state-of-the-art ultrasonic scaling system used to clean teeth. The machine uses oscillating sound waves to produce gentle vibrations that vibrate plaque and tartar off the teeth. Once removed, a steady flow of water washes away the loosened debris. The actions reach areas that toothbrush bristles cannot quite reach. This is most beneficial in fighting periodontal disease and is an effective preventative treatment used by your Lynnefield, MA dentist.
Can a Cavitron Ultrasonic Scaler be used If I already have signs of gum disease?
When the ultrasonic scaler was first being used in dental offices, only the visible tooth surfaces were treated. Now, it is understood that they can also be used to remove calculus deposits from below the gum line too. They are capable of gently cleaning exposed tooth roots without causing damage to their softer surfaces. Ultrasonic scalers are a great tool for preventing gum disease, but they are also useful if there are already signs of gum disease.
A Cavitron Ultrasonic Scaler can help remove calculus in gum pockets that have formed. These are often seen when there are infections and inflammation of the gums. Spaces start to form when gums begin to recede or pull away from the teeth. Ultrasonic scaling is beneficial especially for those who need more frequent cleanings to help control gum disease. Treatment is typically much faster than when done manually. The Cavitron is also gentle on tooth structure. The smaller sized tips are effective for cleaning in challenging areas and help eliminate more bacteria that can lead to gum disease.
5 Reasons the Cavitron Ultrasound Scaler is a Good Choice
Ultrasound scaling is effective at removing calculus from the teeth without causing any damage to gum tissue or roots. Other ways you may benefit from Cavitron Ultrasound dental scaling include:
- The ultrasonic scaler can be used to reach areas unreachable using hand tools. Specifically, the Cavitron can reach areas between teeth and gums at 4mm and greater.
- The ultrasonic scaler uses specially designed tips that are able to get into corners and crevices for a deep clean of areas that are often missed.
- Cavitron systems do not use sharp edges so there is no scraping sound. Also, most patients find it to be more comfortable than scaling with hand dental instruments.
- Using the ultrasonic scaler is faster than when it is done by hand. This saves the hygienist and patient time.
- Since the scaling device is ergonomically sound and uses vibration for removing plaque and tartar, there isn’t any need to exert pressure on the teeth.
Because of these and many other benefits for patients and hygienists, many dental offices are choosing to use ultrasonic systems like the Cavitron.
Learn More About the Cavitron Ultrasonic Scaling System
If you have more questions or would like to know if you are a good candidate for the Cavitron scaling system, please give us a call. We will be happy to discuss the dental scaling process with you and provide you with more information. Call us today!