Being diligent about your oral hygiene may not be enough, you can still face unique oral health concerns as you age.
• Older adults are more susceptible to decay and cavities along the roots of their teeth. These can often be prevented by using fluoride toothpaste and seeing your dentist bi-annual for check-ups.
• Receding gums can cause tooth sensitivity, which can make it uncomfortable to eat or drink anything hot or cold. An anti-sensitivity toothpaste improves symptoms in most cases.
• Health conditions and medications can lead to dry mouth, which can cause bad breath and tooth decay. Over-the-counter and prescription remedies are available to keep the mouth moist and healthy.
• You should let your dentist know about your existing health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, or cancer so that he or she can plan the appropriate treatment.
• Denture wearers should have an annual check-up to ensure that their dentures fit properly.